National Textile Museum, KL


I was in KL to run an errand and finally managed to stop by LOKL to have early lunch.
I always have the thought of doing something or going somewhere nearby whenever I am in the city. Like it's not an everyday thing to be here. So yeah that 'since I'm here I might as well...' thought.

So I remembered there's a Japanese Design exhibition at National Textile Museum nearby Dataran Merdeka. I wasn't sure about the exact location, but I think it won't be that hard to find since it's situated along the busy road.
So I walked from Masjid Jamek LRT station towards Dataran Merdeka. Walking down the busy road, the museum is on my left after seeing KL City Gallery on my right.


I have no idea about our National Textile Museum until I received newsletter (e-mail) from JFKL. The museum is located in an old building that is previously occupied by the state railway. It's a bit like our national museum but at a smaller scale.

Corridor to one of the gallery space, where the Japanese Handmade -Design From Kyoto exhibition is.
The exhibition is going on from 11th-25th May 2013. It's free admission.

The lobby. 

The new lobby with is in glass structure adjacent to the old building.


Afterthought: There were only 3 visitors including me on that weekday noon.
The Japanese design exhibition showcases nice stuffs but quite limited.
The other galleries are something like national museum, in a few separate rooms but no clear signage for what's on inside the galleries.
The displayed items like textiles are pretty, but overall it's a little bit boring to view all of them.
I like the batik gallery, but it was creepy inside with the mannequins while I was alone.
The cafe and the souvenir shop are quite hidden. One has to be a curious person to walk every corner in the building to find out.

I like visiting museums and galleries, especially interesting ones.
Hoping that our local museums could be better and I'll be glad to visit again. :)


26, Jalan Sultan Hishamuddin, 
50050 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Tel:  +603 26943457 / +603 2694346

9am to 6pm daily

Comments

Popular Posts